Team 5 wins B&L Classic
NEW ULM – Team 5 took the top prize at the B&L Classic on Monday at the New Ulm Country Club.
Team 5, headed by Randy Paa, shot a 124 – two strokes under Team 13 – to take the $550 first-prize payday.
“Everybody played really well today,” Paa said. “We had a few holes that were a lot better than the rest of them, but no one got too excited and everybody kind of played their own game.”
The Classic, formerly known as the Kaiserhoff Championship, offered a total payout of $2,160 divided among the six top-finishing teams. However, seven teams took home prize money since Team 17 and Team 12 tied with a 133 in the sixth-place slot.
Team 13, which was led by Dan Janke, took home a prize of $450 for its second-place finish.
Playing alongside Paa was Cliff Woodbury, Don Olson, Jeff Wesselmann and Bob Fisch – all of whom are members of the New Ulm Country Club. Paa said his team’s familiarity with the course only helped, especially with the absence of humidity in the sub-70-degree day.
“This was a perfect playing day,” Wesselmann said. “The fairways and everything looked good out there. [The course has] still got the bad spots on some of the greens, but everybody had to deal with that.”
1. Team 5 (Randy Paa, Cliff Woodbury, Don Olson, Jeff Wesselmann, Bob Fisch) – 124
2. Team 13 (Dan Janke, Lou Geistfeld, Mike Wise, Dean Risius, Troy Sowder) – 126
3. Team 1 (Tom Fenske, Brad Johannes, Jim Senske, Gary Zimdahl, Elmer Epke) – 130
4. Team 14 (Jim Otto, Mike Maloney, Jim Schmidt, Charlie Zangl, Tom Schaefer) – 130
5. Team 9 (Dick Price, Doug Bode, Daryl Mosenden, Carl Paa, Bruce Savoy) – 132