New Ulm boys play to a tie

NEW ULM – Even though Broderick Brown said a tie in soccer is not as bad as a loss, it’s still not the desired outcome.

A tie, however, is what the New Ulm boy’s soccer team got against Marshall 1-1 in a game on Monday.

“Losing, that means everything has just not been going well,” Brown said. “In this case, it hasn’t. We were hustling to the ball, winning the 50s and just working. When you lose, you don’t do any of that.”

Marshall (1-7-2), slowed down the offensive tempo for New Ulm (7-2-1, 4-2-1 South Central Conference) by disrupting passes and getting in the way of shots.

“We came out flat and sluggish and you’re going to have games like that throughout the season,” said New Ulm coach Jack Gronholz. “This is the first game this year that we’ve done that.”

Gronholz said his team exhibited a lot of exertion in its 3-2 overtime win against Fairmont Area last Thursday, so much that there might have been a bit of a hangover effect in Monday’s match.

Senior co-captain Josh Koelpin was the subject of controversy late in the first half when he was given a yellow card for allegedly hooking his arm around Marshall’s Bryce Johnson, the act of which shoved him to the ground.

Koelpin told Gronholz that he stumbled and ran into Johnson on the play, but the referee said it looked like Koelpin had pulled Johnson to the ground.

“Normally with a foul like that, they usually give you a warning,” Gronholz said. “I asked him at halftime and I said, ‘OK that was a foul, but you normally give warnings,’ and he said, ‘No, that was an aggregious foul.'”

The only scoring in the game came in the second half, first with an unassisted goal by Marshall’s Michael Villeada in the 18th minute for a 1-0 lead.

New Ulm trailed for only 11 minutes until a corner pass from Brown connected with New Ulm freshman Michael Messenger, who netted it to tie the game at 1-1.

The Eagles came close to scoring in the first overtime when Koelpin booted two different shots that barely missed the net – the first of which was tipped off the bar and over the net by Marshall goalkeeper Jackson Luther.

New Ulm would have to win its final two conference games to win the SCC outright, which Brown said is not at all out of the question.

“That would be absolutely fantastic,” Brown said. “I’m sure the whole entire team would agree with me.”

New Ulm will play the first of those two conference games at 5 p.m. on Tuesday against St. Peter at home. Two nonconference matches separate that and its regular-season finale against rival Waseca on Oct. 3.

Marshall 0 1 0-0 – 1

New Ulm 0 1 0-0 – 1


Second half

M – 18′ Michael Villeada (unassisted)

N – 29′ Michael Messenger (Broderick Brown assist)

0 0items

Your shopping cart is empty.

Items/Products added to Cart will show here.