Cougar believed responsible for attack on horse

NEW ULM – Sheryl Robinson’s beloved horse Mollee had to be put down Thursday night after suffering serious injuries from what is believed to be a cougar attack on Christmas Eve or early Christmas day.

Robinson, who lives a mile out of New Ulm on Highway 68, said she noticed a small injury on Mollee’s shoulder a couple of weeks ago. Mollee, an Apaloosa/Palomino mare, was sheltered in an enclosed paddock about 100 yards from Robinson’s house with another horse and a pony, Robinson said.

On Christmas Day, Robinson went out to water the horses and found Mollee seriously injured, ripped from her neck down her shoulder and left side.

“She was really torn up, with pieces of her hide hanging down,” Robinson said.

The other two animals in the paddock were not injured.

Robinson treated the wounds, but on Thursday she called a friend to help her. The friend said the injuries were too serious, and that they should call a veterinarian.

“The veterinarian came and said he thought it was a cougar attack. He showed me some claw marks. We had thought it might have been coyotes – there are a lot of them around here,” Robinson said.

Robinson said the veterinarian told her the injuries were severe and had become infected, and recommended euthanizing the horse.

It was a sad blow for Robinson, who had owned Mollee for about six years.

“She was my baby,” Robinson said. “She had been a 4-H project for some kids, and my nephew knew I was looking for a horse. I went to look at her and I fell in love with her right away, and she fell in love with me. She was very mellow, very mild-mannered.”

“I just thought people in the area should know that there is a cougar somewhere out there,” Robinson said.

Robinson called the Department of Natural Resources, which sent a conservation officer out to investigate on Friday morning.

Conservation Officer Thor Nelson said there were some paw prints near the horse paddock that could have been from a cougar or a large dog, but the prints had deteriorated since the attack on late Tuesday or early Wednesday. Any other tracks in the area had been covered by the snow that fell on Wednesday.

Nelson said the horse, after it was put down, was lying in the snow on the side with the damage, which made it difficult to distinguished what kind of wounds they were.

“The veterinarian told (Robinson) he thought they were claw marks, and I don’t doubt that. It’s just that after several hours in the snow, it wasn’t as clear,” he said.

Nelson did say he saw puncture wounds and tears in the hide that were consistent with an animal attack.

0 0items

Your shopping cart is empty.

Items/Products added to Cart will show here.