Tigers too much for CHS

NEW ULM – For the second straight game, New Ulm Cathedral had to work through a early double-digit deficit.

And for the second straight contest, the Greyhounds got close.

Cathedral battled back from an early Springfield lead to pull to within 53-49 with more than three minutes left in the game before losing its regular season finale 60-53 to the Tigers in a Tomahawk Conference boy’s basketball game.

Tyler Vogel paced Springfield (11-11, 9-6) with 22 points. Freshman Cale Meendering added 12 and Cooper Scheffler tossed in 11.

Jacob Gangelhoff led a trio of Greyhounds in double figures with 13. Michael Skillings contributed 11 and Collin Helget had 10.

Cathedral now opens its Section 2A playoff at 7 p.m. Thursday at Buffalo Lake-Hector-Stewart.

“I thought that we did a pretty nice job,” Cathedral coach Alan Woitas said. “They threw a lot of different things at us and we did a nice job of adjusting to them.”

Springfield coach Lance Larson wasn’t too thrilled after the win, but he’ll take it.

“This was not a great win for us – we did not play great – but we battled,” Larson said. “We fought through adversity tonight.”

But early on it did not look like the Tigers were going to have anything close to adversity with the Greyhounds as the Tigers jumped to a 14-3 lead at the 11:14 mark of the first half.

“We got down to that lead but that was over the first six minutes,” Woitas said. “And we were just not making shots (0-for-7 from the floor and only a Jack Schwartz 3-pointer for points). We were getting good looks but we did not knock down the shots and sometimes that is going to happen.”

When the Greyhounds did get back on track with their shooting, they climbed back into the game and cut the lead to 16-12 on an Alex Guggisberg 3 with six minutes left in the first half.

Two free throws from Helget saw the Greyhounds within 22-20 with three minutes left in the opening half.

“We got tired,” Larson said. “We had good energy to start and then we had a couple of possessions where we got nothing on the offensive end.”

Springfield regained momentum on a 6-0 run to take a 28-20 lead before Cathedral cut the lead to 30-25 at halftime.

Springfield kept ahead of the Greyhounds in the second half, holding leads of 39-31 and 46-37 with 7:30 left in the game before Cathedral again climbed back.

Two baskets from Helget and a 3-pointer from Skillings saw the Greyhounds down just 51-44.

“We did execute well late in the game,” Woitas said. “Maybe early in the game we were sluggish because it was a Monday game where we had no school. We were ready to play tonight- it was just that we struggled offensively early.”

Larson said that his team is still inconsistent.

“But that is why we are at where we are at – in the middle of the pack.”

0 0items

Your shopping cart is empty.

Items/Products added to Cart will show here.